Recommendations to stop, prevent and improve the back pain, neck pain, joint pain and associated symptoms.
(for my patients and friends)
*These recommendations work positively with or without Chiropractic treatment. Chiropractic Treatment directs and speeds up positive changes when done along with these recommendations.
- !ALWAYS! STANDING ON BOTH LEGS BALANCED 50/50 EVEN. Do not shift weight on one leg while standing. Naturally, most people will lean to the same leg 80-90% of time, ALL THE TIME. This can lead to uneven pressure on pelvic and vertebral structures leading to stiffening or weakening of those over time. Accumulated injury and stress will cause inflammation, degeneration and pain.
- !ALWAYS! SITTING WITH LOWER BACK CURVE PRESERVED AND SUPPORTED. This only works if you recline back enough for your shoulders to drop back to be relaxed with gravity. Use reclining function of chairs and car seats along with lumbar supports, pillows, cushions etc.
- To prevent your head from “drifting” forward while standing, simply lift your chest up. This should automatically normalise/increase lower back curve and allow your shoulders to drop back behind your central line of the body. This will also remove/reduce pressure on the neck joints, muscles and other structures.
- More on posture in this article.
- Office chair with LUMBAR SUPPORT to support low back, RECLINING FUNCTION to relax shoulder back, REMOVABLE ARM RESTS to move very close to the table to rest the forearms on the table in front of keyboard while typing.
- Table has to be low enough to fit the chair under, as deep as possible, so your stomach almost touching the edge of the table and the knees almost touching the underneath of the table top. This enable you to move deep under the table while being relaxed in the chair reclined with your back supported and forearms resting on the table in front of the keyboard.
- Vertical mouse or Roller ball mouse to remove tension in the elbow and shoulder from going to the neck.
- Screen in front of your eyes has to be big enough so you can see what you’re doing without leaning forward or straining your eyes. If you use laptop – get a larger plug in screen and external keyboard.
- More on desk setup in this article.
- Same as the office chair principles – lumbar support, recline, relax shoulders back.
- Tilt the front of the seat base up to support the legs underneath the knees will improve lumbar support function.
- Lowering the steering wheel and getting it closer to you will help to relax the shoulders.
- Adjust your mirrors so you can see everything without leaning forward.
- To have better visibility and control while being relaxed and supported will be helped if you have your car seat as high as possible.
- More details in this article.
- When relaxing at home or as a guest (restaurant/caffe/lounge), please follow the same rules as for office and car – lumbar support, shoulders relaxed back and symmetry. Always look for comfort and relaxed, but correct posture. !ALWAYS!
- RELAXING RANGE OF MOTION EXERCISES on the floor or bed to be done as a complex at least 2 (twice) a day and basic ones for low back and neck 5 times a day (up to 10 or more times a day for better result) just for 5-10-15 seconds.
- CORE STABILITY EXERCISES at least 2 a day – morning and evening 5-10-15 minutes every day or half an hour twice every other day (less effective) or both. These are static exercise from Pilates/Yoga range.
- GENERAL EXERCISES good to be done at least twice a week and include comfortable, big range symmetrical exercises, like swimming, rowing, cycling and walking, preferably exercises with round motion like cross training instead of running or cycling instead of jumping to reduce negative impact on the joints. If you consider your work (digging) or hobby (gardening, DIY) to replace gym or other exercise, it will work as exercise, if it gets you out of breath and if it is done along with your general range of motion stretches before, during and after the activity. Regular range of motion stretches prevent accumulation of tension which may lead to trauma and discomfort. 30 min to an hour 2-3- times a week.
- Best set of minimal required exercises you can find here , this can be done 2 a day or more and every time each set can be repeated 1-3 times without any side-effects.
- Exercising when exausted from work, not sleeping enough and without the pre- and post- spinal and other joint flexibility and stability exercises/stretches will have the opposite effect to your overal health and your spinal health.
- To prevent your feet having an impact onto your spine, consider wearing wider shoes with softer sole. Especially if your job involves standing and walking.
- Best modern approach to healthy shoes for healthy feet is wearing Barefoot shoes (umbrella term). Example brands are: VivoBarefoot and Belenka. These two I’ve found from personal experience and reviews from people I know to give the best results. Avoid narrow shoes/ trainers and even narrow socks!
- If you think you have over-pronated feet, you run a risk of your knees being affected as well as hips and the whole spine. Barefoot shoes are the answer. If you are not ready for such a dramatic change, choose shoes or trainers with wide toe-box and wear arch supporting insoles.
- More information in this article.
- Often the pain in the back is caused by mechanical issues of your life-style and work, but is very acute and permanent because of the ongoing inflammation in your body. The answer is to make changes in your diet to consume more anti—inflammatory foods (omega-3 oils, colourful and crunchy vegetables) and less pro-inflammatory foods (processed, high-carbohydrate, heavy protein raised on grains and combi-foods (meat has to be organic and grass fed), gluten, dairy).
- More on beating the inflammation in this article.
- Chiropractic and chiropractors are the “accumulators” of knowledge of all thing “Natural Health”. We work along the traditional medicine, providing our clients with Necessary advice, based on current research and progress of science. Be it your diet or exercise routine.
- Chiropractic management is important to help maintain and restore the flexibility and strength of your spine, which is imperative to your general health and wellbeing.
- We prefer seeing our clients at the clinic when they still well to help them to stay well. many conditions build up slowly and manifest much later and sadly with more damage and pain, so better prevented early.
The recommendations above are for your guidance only, we can not be responsible if anything goes wrong, when you are dieting or exercising. But we felt obliged to share our experience with you and hope it will benefit you. Have a great day!
P.S.This summary article is published and being updated after my visit to Halkidiki in 2022 to help my friend George Duvas and his friend Michalis and also Charoula who bakes best Bougatsa in Afytos.
P.P.S. Pictures and Links will be added as well as more content. Please come back later for updates. Thank you